Toy Howard Greene was nineteen years old in 1926 when W. G. Reid invited him to learn the funeral service trade at his furniture and undertaking establishment. In 1936, Toy and Robert Wolfe of Fort Mill began a partnership and opened Wolfe-Greene Funeral Home. During World War II, Toy was an embalmer for the United States Army. It was during this time that Wolfe and Greene dissolved their partnership. In the late 1940's, Robert Wolfe sold his partnership, and this establishment became known as Todd-Morris Funeral Home.
In 1954, Toy bought the business and reopened the establishment at 355 East White Street as Greene Funeral Home. Shortly after opening his funeral home, Donald Greene joined his father. For many years, the funeral home provided ambulance service to York County families. Ruby Faulkenberry Greene, Toy's wife, operated a flower shop in the funeral home which remained in operation until 1990.
In 1964, Toy and Ruby's youngest son, Howard "Buddy" Greene, who worked at the Rock Hill U.S. Post Office, joined his father and brother. Buddy's children became the third generation to follow in the funeral service when in 1981, Howard "Frank" Greene came into the business after graduating from Winthrop University. Susan Greene Fischer graduated from Winthrop University in 1989 and joined the family business in 1995. In 2000, Frank and Susan opened the second location, Greene Funeral Home Northwest Chapel at 2133 Ebenezer Road.