The 355 East White Street location of Greene Funeral Home, now known as the Downtown Chapel, has undergone many changes and renovations since it was made into a funeral home in the 1930’s. The building was originally a residence built around 1910 by D. G. McDonald, owner of the Rock Hill Ice Plant.
Shortly after the establishment of Greene Funeral Home, Ruby Greene began a flower shop in the rear of the funeral home. For many years, Toy and Ruby Greene lived in an apartment above the funeral home until they bought a home in the Leslie community in 1966. The flower shop remained in the Greene family until it closed in 1990.
A chapel was added to the building in 1964 and was dedicated by Reverend Jim Lowery. Renovations to various rooms have been done throughout the years with the latest renovation taking place in 1997.